Russia vs Spain Betting Tips

Russia vs Spain Betting Tips

Talk about bursting your bubble. Russia were on the crest of a wave after their opening pair of victories at World Cup 2018, but they were brought back down to earth with a sizeable bump in the 0-3 defeat to Uruguay. Can they lift themselves for Sunday’s Round of 16 clash with the Spaniards? Let’s find out in our Russia vs Spain betting tips.

Russia vs Spain Betting Tips

There was a notable deflating of the Russian supporters in that match; the overriding sensation that they had already peaked audible in the groans and mutterings of their fans.

They were unlucky, in some senses, to have Igor Smolnikov sent off after half-an-hour or so, but the Uruguayans were already 2-0 up by that point. The hosts had been royally outclassed.

Oddly, Spain were also outplayed by Morocco in their final group game, and this wasn’t a second-string, much changed Spanish side either: this was the real deal.

Maybe Russia do have a chance? The Spaniards have only won one of their matches so far, and a goal difference of +1 hardly sets pulses racing. If the hosts can summon up some passion and energy….who knows.

Let’s see if we can untangle this one in our Russia vs Spain betting tips.

Before we crack on, remember to check out our FREE BETS page for the latest deals and offers from the very best sportsbooks

Russia vs Spain Betting Tips

When you’re weighing up whether betting odds can be considered ‘value’ or not, it’s worth calculating the implied probability that the fraction/decimal suggest there is of either side winning.

In this case, the bookies have Spain at around a 62% chance of winning, 24% chance of a draw and Russia have, according to the smarts, a roughly 14% hope of winning this match inside 90 minutes.

Does that make it any easier to oppose Spain here? Not really, but by the same token you could argue that the Russians are being undervalued by the market.

Our opinion has been altered somewhat by the hosts’ capitulation against Uruguay last time out, which revealed all of the insecurities that had plagued the national team prior to a ball being kicked.

And, if we’re being brutally honest, they had only beaten a poor Saudi Arabia and a mediocre Egypt until that point.

Spain deserved to beat Portugal, eventually found a way past Iran and were given a good contest by a game Morocco side. So it’s positive vibes for them, rather than the glum mood hanging over Samara the last time the hosts played.

There will be a raucous atmosphere in Moscow on Sunday, but you get the feeling the party might just be pooped.

And so we have to favour Spain to tin this match inside 90 minutes; available at 8/13 with William Hill.

Russia vs Spain Betting Tips: Side Markets

Knockout matches in major tournaments tend to follow one of a couple of templates.

Firstly, these are cagey affairs where a single moment of brilliance decides matters in a low-scoring contest.

Or alternatively, there is an early goal and the game opens up exponentially.

In these circumstances with Russia as the ‘home’ team, we’re going to predict the former. So, Under 2.5 Goals is the way to go at 20/29 with NetBet

Leave a Reply

Close Menu